|Hayyim and Esther Kieval Institute for Jewish-Christian Studies, Siena College, NY|
The Siena Institute for Jewish-Christian Studies was founded in 1983, with an initial contribution from Charles and Thelma Buchman and their family. Rabbi Hayyim Kieval, then the Senior Rabbi of Temple Israel in Albany was named as the Director. When the Institute's bylaws were adopted in 1989, Peter Zaas became the Institute Coordinator and budgetary officer.
According to these bylaws, the Institute is located within the Department of Religious Studies. After Rabbi Kieval's untimely death in 1991, Dr. Zaas became the Director and Rabbi Bernard Bloom, a longtime member of the Religious Studies department, became the Chair. In October 1999 the Institute was renamed the Hayyim Kieval Institute for Jewish-Christian Studies. An Advisory Board of Siena faculty, other area academics, clergy and community leaders advises the Institute on matters of policy and program.
Institute sponsor's annual colloquia, open to all who are interested in a frank and stimulating discussion of academic issues pertinent to Jewish-Christian studies. This year's colloquium, the twenty-fourth annual, continues the Institute's tradition of bringing to Siena scholars of international reputation, to discuss matters of history, theology, and current events pertaining to the continuing historical relationship between Jews and Christians. The colloquia attract participants from throughout the region, with interested clergy and laity from New York City, New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts joining residents of the Capital District, as well as Siena faculty and students, in these discussions. From the beginning, these discussions have been both ecumenical and interfaith--not only have the colloquia featured the finest Jewish and Christian scholars, but the audience participants as well have come from the entire range of the community.
Visit their website at http://www.siena.edu/level3col.aspx?menu_id=530&id=1534